Saturday, June 12, 2010

I Know That Which the Lord Commanded Me

Last week I was having a conversation with a friend about motherhood. I seem to frequently do this to those I love…corner them and them and then make them listen to all my latest thoughts. She told me that her experience with motherhood was somewhat different. I asked her how and she told me of disappointed expectations and of her weaknesses. When I looked back on the conversation I worried that she might think that motherhood for me has been different than what she experienced. Not so. I wouldn’t feel that I needed to repent so often if I could just tame my passionate character and not get angry at children or spouse. And I have so many expectations that are frustrated ….at least temporarily anyway. I wished I could have that conversation back with my friend and tell her, “No, no it’s not that I think that I am great. It is just that ‘I know that which the Lord commanded me and I glory in it! I do not glory in myself, but I glory in that which the Lord hath commanded me; yea, and this is my glory, that perhaps I may be an instrument in the hands of God to bring my children to know their God; and this is my joy (Alma 29:9).’”

I know that motherhood is what God has commanded me to do. I glory in that calling. When I am quiet and I am reading my scriptures my Heavenly Father whispers the importance of these things to me. These things fill my heart so that I want to shout the things that He has whispered from the tops of mountains. Since I haven’t ever done that I settle for cornering my friends and blogging occasionally.

1 comment:

  1. Mandy, I would love to be a listening ear in those mountaintops. What joy it brings to me to get to read your beautiful and inspiring writings.

    ReplyDelete